<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, September 08, 2008

Yes we can, yes we can.

Not that I'm American in any way at all or that I am voting, but this music video by will.i.am from Black Eyed Peas (I explain where he's from because I didn't know where he's from and I assume there are others who are as similarly disinterested) for Barack Obama has got to be the best campaign ad I've seen.

Makes me wish I was American so I could vote Obama.

Not to mention he's quite good looking too (yup, I am shallow and know nothing of his policies).




---------------

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 8 — Some Cabinet ministers are stumped, and upset. Not by the bashing the administration is receiving in blogs and Internet websites over policies but by the tone and the coverage in mainstream newspapers especially the English-language dailies.

At a meeting last week chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and attended by a string of senior ministers including Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, one of the topics discussed was the reporting on the Budget and other announcements on the economy.

The consensus was that the mainstream newspapers, all owned by Barisan Nasional political parties or politically-connected businessmen, seemed quick to highlight criticisms of the Budget, instead of highlighting its positive aspects.

Read more here.


Oh boo hoo. Are we (because I was part of the mainstream media just three months ago) supposed to give you a pat on the back for not doing your job all these years?

I suppose being criticised publicly is not something they're used to.


-------------------

When I was little and would get an A in Maths (one of my worst subjects), I would show my dad and he would brush it off and say, "It's not 100%".

And when I did, he would say: "So?".

Hard to please, that man (and I say this with affection).

I've always thought that this attitude of thinking it's not good enough, there's always more you can do or learn, was a catalyst to do better.

But the 'I know nothing' speech I give myself is turning out to be a bit of a problem.

I worry that even after studying here and completing my Masters, I will still be the same - average. And that's all I'll ever be.

That's why, I reason, I can't get a job here. Because they know (through some form of voodoo and mind reading) I'm average and a waste of time to hire.

That's why, even after the whole fuss of coming here, the only prospects I see are the exact same ones that were open to me before I left.

I know that doing a postgraduate degree doesn't naturally make one a genius; I've edited postgrad essays before as a college student, but there should be some kind of change, right?

I need more doors opening, damnit. Not the same ones.


Moobs says the problem with me is that I am too self-deprecating (not self-defecating like a certain beauty pageant contestant, haha), and that no matter how much I achieve, it will never be enough.

"Any praise you get will never last long. You're too down to earth, if there's even such a thing."

If that's really all there is to it, a psychological problem instead of my questionable worthiness, then I hope he's right.



(I realise that I've been hoping that other people are right and I'm wrong quite a bit in this blog. But it's just easier to blame someone else. Look at me, such a shining example of responsibility.)



:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

itulah bapak kitaK menyebabkan kitak org cam ni.

yesh that was our childhood. yes yes iknow u kena more than me. but i kena too. makes me not wanna try anymore even. our brothers are so much more luckier than us. *jealous*.

10:08 AM, September 08, 2008  
Blogger Keem said...

eh.. why have you decided to post a comment in bahasa kampung? not even proper bahasa kampung pun. -_-

ehheh.

eh, i got it like.. 200%. yours maybe 50% only. the boys maybe 30%.

12:07 PM, September 08, 2008  
Blogger FishBalls said...

As nice as it is to watch some good quality wallowing in perceived (nay, hallucinated!) self-average-ness, it would be the epitome of loveliness if the ones we loved didn't mentally beat themselves up quite so much.

Also less of the obsessive-compulsive picking on the specific words of the comments from various people.

A job well done is a job well done. It's nice to want to be better, but some pride in that job that was well done keeps us from being one of those overachieving people who flinch every time that red squiggly line appears in Microsoft Word.

7:56 PM, September 08, 2008  
Blogger Keem said...

nolah i think lisa understands. hor lisa hor?

about those red squiggly lines, I do flinch every time and must immediately correct the error. MS Words pisses me off majorly when it does that. And green squigglies too. UGH!

3:18 PM, September 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home