Unemployment sucks
This has been a reoccurring scenario for the past weeks.
I'm at home doing my work or watching some show while Moobs is at school.
The phone rings. I look at the caller. It's Moobs. Disappointment.
Getting hired for a part-time job has been quite a pain lately. I've submitted dozens of resumes online and have also scanned shop windows for "casuals wanted" postings.
My funds are running out quick, and it's not on food or any luxury item. I spend maybe a total of 20 bucks a week on groceries and the occasional bus ride (I walk as long as it isn't dark yet). Rent is the killer although it's only at 235 bucks per fortnight.
By my calculations, I won't have cash to make rent in approximately a month and a half's time.
Now people have told me that I am being silly to panic, that this is plenty of time and considering how friendly I am (and how friendly I look), getting hired shouldn't be a problem.
And to be honest, I didn't think it would be either. I speak multiple languages and have professional work experience. I don't look like a hobo (when I go out in any case) and I'm not timid so serving people would not be a problem.
I've not been picky about jobs either. Nothing to low for me to do. I've applied for work as customer service, retail assistant, waitstaff, cleaner, dog walker, data entry, receptionist. Anything that offers casual hours.
So why aren't the calls coming?
This is getting seriously demoralising.
I'm at home doing my work or watching some show while Moobs is at school.
The phone rings. I look at the caller. It's Moobs. Disappointment.
Getting hired for a part-time job has been quite a pain lately. I've submitted dozens of resumes online and have also scanned shop windows for "casuals wanted" postings.
My funds are running out quick, and it's not on food or any luxury item. I spend maybe a total of 20 bucks a week on groceries and the occasional bus ride (I walk as long as it isn't dark yet). Rent is the killer although it's only at 235 bucks per fortnight.
By my calculations, I won't have cash to make rent in approximately a month and a half's time.
Now people have told me that I am being silly to panic, that this is plenty of time and considering how friendly I am (and how friendly I look), getting hired shouldn't be a problem.
And to be honest, I didn't think it would be either. I speak multiple languages and have professional work experience. I don't look like a hobo (when I go out in any case) and I'm not timid so serving people would not be a problem.
I've not been picky about jobs either. Nothing to low for me to do. I've applied for work as customer service, retail assistant, waitstaff, cleaner, dog walker, data entry, receptionist. Anything that offers casual hours.
So why aren't the calls coming?
This is getting seriously demoralising.
--------------------
Edit:
So moments after I put up this post, I got a call from this talent company looking for extras, a job I applied for weeks ago.
So there I was, all eager and relieved that I don't have to eat garbage and sleep in the park. Moobs and I even joked about how I would be his sugar mommy and buy him all the toys he wanted when I became famous (quite unlikely, but one can fantasize).
When the email with the application form the lady promised came, I thought, hey, this is for real. I am gonna get a job. Whinging on the net does help. There is a God.
But what is it? One of those "upon successful application you will need to pay this fee to get a professional photo thingy done".
DRATDRATDRATDRATDRATFUCKDRAT.
People who scam desperate people like me should just go die.
So moments after I put up this post, I got a call from this talent company looking for extras, a job I applied for weeks ago.
So there I was, all eager and relieved that I don't have to eat garbage and sleep in the park. Moobs and I even joked about how I would be his sugar mommy and buy him all the toys he wanted when I became famous (quite unlikely, but one can fantasize).
When the email with the application form the lady promised came, I thought, hey, this is for real. I am gonna get a job. Whinging on the net does help. There is a God.
But what is it? One of those "upon successful application you will need to pay this fee to get a professional photo thingy done".
DRATDRATDRATDRATDRATFUCKDRAT.
People who scam desperate people like me should just go die.
:
babe i seriously don't know what to tell you. a friend is in the same position, except now he's got a trial somewhere. the market in general is tightening it's belt for recession but it doesn't mean you should give up. you're there for a reason, and you know what you've got to offer. just keep at it. why don't you do something uni-related - like work for the academic office or as a student relations advisor etc until you find something else? x al
Hrmm....i thought Sydney should be relatively easy to find jobs, as all my cousins got casual work without much hassle, even without PR (altho if you have one, i think it's much easier to get hired).
Have you tried shops with chinese owner? They r usually more willing to hire, altho offer a much lower salary than ang moh owners.
All the best to you....and hope you'll get something soon!
al... looked at the uni jobs database, nothing that i'm qualified for. darn it why'd i go and become a journo for. prolly easier if i had like a hospitality cert or something.
i've honestly never felt so poor before in my life.
hey just..i thought so too cause everyone told me it wasn't that difficult, plus my visa allows me to work 20 hours so didn't think that'd be a prob.
Post a Comment
<< Home