<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

All's fair in journos and press gifts.

Ah, ethical dilemmas.

As a journalist you get swamped with PRs who throw you free things from washing detergent to all sorts of make up to an electronic hairbrush (that can double-up as some other gadget ifyouknowwhatimean).

What do I do?

Fake a goody and refuse it and give it to someone else, or secretly and greedily hide it in your bag with the idea that if no one saw it, I wasn't greedy.

How much is too much? What is the point where you reach that moral peak where your judgement is blinded by the cosmetics that are painted over your eyelids?

Yesterday morning I went for a notebook launch and in the afternoon a branded underwear/timepiece/ shoes competition winner announcement thingamajig.

The former gave me a RM20 bookstore gift voucher, the latter an ugly RM585 watch.

Now if you base it on the type of person I am, I would usually be thrilled with stationery/book-related things. What use would I have for an expensive (and ugly because it's chunky) watch when I already have my new Fossil Motion Dial watch with animated butterflies fluttering all over the dial?

But such is men's (and women's) greed that I favour the ugly watch more than the voucher which I could use to purchase lots of pretty notebooks and pens with.

And the other day I tried and tried (but in vain) to go for a boutique opening in hopes of getting a discount or some nice freebie from the shop.

My boyfriend called me a Moocher (in jest, of course).

But it is true, isn't it? All those years of studying ethical journalism has gone down the poo-poo hole and I am now nothing but a crazy-eyed, messy-haired and chip-nailed unscrupulous writer who is always on the lookout for good assignment 'bargains'.

So here's an important ethical question that I have tossed and turned in bed over,

Should I keep the freebies for myself, or should I Give Them To You?

:

Blogger Tiffany L said...

GIVE THEM TO MEEEEEEEE!!!!!

oh please please please please.

heh.

3:55 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger yuin said...

sharing is a virtue.

keeps the stuff you like and give away the fugly ones. :P

2:25 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Give them to me then i'll sell it teehee...im interested to work as reporter/journalist/yaddayadda for mag too. I'm a bum!

2:41 AM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your boyfriend is utterly brilliant. I mean, where else would you be able to come across such an utterly handsome, understanding, sexy guy? IT BOGGLES THE MIND, IT DOES!!!!

>coff<

Blogspot won't let me log in.
I'll see you at home tonight, baby.

1:19 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAH.. way to go Moobs.. I believe I've already made a deal with you Kim. The watch is mine SUCKAS!!!!!!!

2:06 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger spence said...

Quote "I'll see you at home tonight, baby."

Woohooooohooohoooooo

3:26 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

donate them to me =p

chrissieeeeee

10:29 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEEP ITTTT!!!

All jobs have their perks, and this just happens to be one of them..keep it, after your last boss..and ur err.."friend"..u need some POSITIVES ..*cough*goodies. hehehe

I got free chocolate at work the other day...really delicious hazlenut ones...and get this, one of the BUSINESS ppl ate it off my desk at lunch and just left the wrapper there...how rude right??!?!?!? *shakes fist* At least throw evidence in bin!

Can i see ur watch? i didn't see any butterfly ones on the fossil site. Btw, check Alli's site...I learnt how to use 'can'..u'd be proud!!! *beams*

5:30 AM, June 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after a while, u'll get used to it lah!

2:29 PM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Merv Kwok said...

Give me the book voucher!!! Give me the RM595 watch and I'll be at lost of words. I don't need a watch but I need good books haha.

What's ethical journalism about? Not accepting gifts? Hehe

6:36 PM, June 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess this is where ebay comes in handy. SELL SELL! lol. we're all moochers.. you'd be surprise the number of medics who scramble for free pens. measely drug company-sponsored PENS. [in fairness, some of them have really cute designs....] my "best" one so far is a free optical mouse and pedometer from pfizer i think. like when am i ever gonna strap that thing on to count how many calories i've burnt from walking? i'm a fitness laze. p/s: did you go for the opening of forever21?!?

3:34 AM, June 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...as for me, Stationery is KING. haha The cupboard is free for usage...haha i go crazy! Stash them all in my desk but i share with my colleagues when they need pens. hehe

9:50 PM, June 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kim....

Been seeing your name in the papers these few days, and reading your articles. Great stuff there! hehehhe coincidentally my office seem to have the sun paper almost everyday....

Did you check out the Forever 21 outlet in 1U? I'm so tempted to buy so many things there....sighz have to control myself tho :P

10:00 PM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home