<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cheesy Destiny.

There are moments in life when you think back to years gone by, and realise that there have been definitive moments that hint and tell you: this is what you're gonna be.

We don't realise these moments though, often too caught up with cleaning up after people and feeding the dog.

I think my moment just hit me as I walked out of our office toilet and saw the mess that was 'my' table (it's not really mine, we have to share due to lack of space).

It hit me that at 12, I was the fastest typer in my computer class and the only kid who could type with all her fingers no less.

It hit me that when I was 16, I LOVED to log on IRC and chat up strangers (who are now my friends), 'interview' them to find out about their life.

It hit me that in high school, I won our school English competition for three years in a row.

It hit me that in college, I'd go around the hostel from room to room asking if anyone wanted any help with their assignments and beg them to let me type it out for them while they dictate (I know, freaky huh?)

It hit me that in university I'd hand up assignments a week before deadline, make the tutor browse through it and if she thought it could be better, I would redo the entire thing. Also, I churned out a 10,000 word thesis on copyright law in cyberspace (something I know nothing about) in a month and still got a B+.

It hit me that the highlights of my previous job in that sad, sad company in Kuching, was getting to liase with the media and writing press releases that were printed out word for word.

Alli asked if all the moves we had to make was worth it.

I think 10 years down the line, when I walk out of a toilet and get one of those moments, I'd say it was.

(Unfortunately, such opportunity for moments have yet to present themselves, hence I am disinclined to feel fortunate about present circumstances).

:

Blogger Merv Kwok said...

u went around volunteering to type out ppl's assignments??? damn! why didn't i know u then! haha

10:27 AM, May 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until a couple of years ago, I also thought journalism was "my destiny", "my calling". Boy, was I wrong.

One day, you'll wake up and realise that people your age are living in posh apartments and cruising around in expensive cars ... while you live in a rented place and cruise around in a battered Kancil.

On that day, envy and disllusionment will set in. You'll curse the readers for not appreciating the sacrifices you made for them. You'll bang your head when you find out that the promotion you have been eyeing for the longest time goes to someone with far less talent but better ass-kissing skills.

10:53 PM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Keem said...

merv.. yup! typing fun!

drunkard.. why u so like tht lah. the very word 'dream' itself means that it's not practical.

besides envy has already set in =)

11:55 AM, May 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home