<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, July 30, 2005

My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty...

of thee i sing.

Being Malaysian, I've always envied somewhat all the things that Americans had; and revered all that it stood for.

The land of equal opportunities, peace and freedom. The place where numerous have set out to, duped to think that it's a modern day Babylon or Utopia.

No doubt there's more of everything there. No doubt the skies seem sunnier in California.

Although sometimes I envy that a friend who works as a supermarket salesman there earns more in a week than I do in a month, although I fervently wished my national song was more melodious when I see Americans put their hands to their heart and sing the Star Spangled Banner.

I pity them for their pride. I pity them for all they have but do not see and all that they've ruined but failed to miss.

After all, when life is through, you're only allowed non-physical baggage check-ins.

"Welcome to the Hotel California...
Such a lovely place...
Such a lovely face."
----------------------------
Yasmin Ahmad wrote an insightful piece of poetry titled America. Read it!

:

Blogger FishBalls said...

That last stanza rings so utterly true.

I want pie.

1:11 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Merv Kwok said...

eh... my comment i made earlier in the day didnt make it... pui!

11:31 PM, August 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

equal opportunities, peace and freedom? must be thinking of a different america.

12:02 AM, August 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home