<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Cleopatra of Diversions

If I want to tell you something of much importance, I will tell you in an e-mail. Or an SMS.

I cannot for the life of me be confrontational. Nonsense and questions I can handle. But the 'real thang' I can't handle for fear that I'll get all emo and burst into tears.

It is the curse of a woman.

And so as not to plague people with the guilt of having to comfort one who is seemingly in devastation, I create diversions to avoid discussions or immersion.

Immersion into one's feelings makes them temperamental. A person who feels too much is quick to anger, sadness and all the different levels of emotional highs and lows.

We must therefore all retain some form of self-control and stay neutral. We must not show. We must be strong.

Being emotional is a sign of weakness. It is letting your heart getting to your brain, and that is taboo to my world of practical rationality where happiness is a matter of the mind, and not of the heart.

And so when the going gets rough, the mind starts wandering.


"Don't dwell on the problem, Kim, find instead the solution."
"All sadness will come to an ending, with time it will fade."
"Crying never solved anything."
"God has a bigger plan for you than you have for yourself."
"There are worst problems in this world than your not getting your way."


And for a while, it works.

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh you know, i'm so with you on this one. the worst is when someone cries in front of you - (i on the other hand have no probs bawling my eyes out in public) but when someone cries in front of you, it's so awkard!!!!

7:18 PM, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Illicitus said...

Ah the curse.

You know, jewish men have a prayer that they say which basically thanks god for NOT making them a woman.

And the women have a prayer thanking god for having been made so no matter what. Which basically means "thanks for nothing asshole".

Or something to that effect.

1:07 AM, August 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends why someone is crying in front of me, if it's female-ish then I do feel awkward cause I don't know how to help. As for me, I cry alone....I let it all out, then like what you wrote..I find the solution or something i can DO to feel better or to just dig a bigger hole to fall into....I'm totally frazzled when I get emotional.

3:13 AM, August 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home