<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, December 24, 2005

All My Christmases Weren't White

Every year, I lose Christmas on purpose.

As a typical little girl, I loved dolls and used to wish for a ballerina Barbie for Christmas. My family wasn't as well off so I never got one. But mom did the best she could, and bought me and my sister each a Cindy doll instead, and sew us clothes for her from odd pieces of cloth.

When I grew up into my teens, Christmas became more expensive for me as I lamented the fact that I now had a pocket money and should buy everyone presents. But as my sister was much younger and didn't have pocket money - that meant one extra present to buy, one less present in return.

After years of celebrating it, Christmas was a burden instead of a celebration. All the money I had to spend, and all the money I didn't have to spend.

And then I left for college.

That College Christmas of 2001 was spent at a street party in KL. I hated it. I remember standing in the midst of thousands of people I didn't know who were hugging and kissing each other.

I remember thinking in disgust, "Gah! They don't know the real meaning. They don't celebrate it with family."

I also scoffed at White Christmas and Jingle Bells.

(Excuseee meee. We're in bloody tropical Malaysia! What's so Christmassy about THAT?!)

I got hot and bothered about capitalism, and how Christmas is just a ploy to SELL SELL SELL!

.
.

And then I decided to ignore myself (read 'my own well being') in this entire business of celebrating Christmas.

And that, is precisely when Christmas began.


~*o**oOo**o*~

A very Merry Christmas to all of you
who have always been supportive of my incoherant rants.

A special thank you to those of you from in here
(Alli, LC, Rom, Lily, Merv)
who've been my crutch over the past year.
It has been tough - never could've done it without you.

To old friends:
Mike, The Nigger Brother I Never Had: Thank you for always 'getting my back'. Thanks for being so fatherly (all those times I got depressed *rolls eyes*) and motherly (I must owe you like dozens of meals now). Thanks for all the good music.
And to Spencer his sidekick for : thanks for enthusiastically encouraging me to quit my job. Hehe.
Emily, My Encyclopedia: Thanks - For the books and Rocky (I don't think I'll ever get over these ^_^). For treating me like a pet and always looking out for feather-brained me. Thanks for being my brain when mine's cloudy (that's like 90% of the time).
And to Lisa her sidekick for : the sound head and being anal about the tidiness of everything except her thumb drive. And also for morphing into us - but girl, you gotta get your own pretty colour and bug okay?
Kenny, The Chai: For enunciating your words so perfectly, for those horribly lame jokes that you tell, and the random sms-es that you send.

:

Blogger Kahani said...

*rotfl*

You're welcome kim my pet. =)
Miss you girl, and yeah Lis, you need to find your own favourite pretty colour and bug. Pink, purple, butterflies and dragonflies taken liao lah.

9:32 PM, December 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought this was going to be a big BA-HUMBUG post but then it got great!

nope, sure as hell couldn't have done it without you either!

that ferrari/lambroghini ("you are a car, al") analogy will never be forgotten. neither will those cards and letter, which i carry around in my wallet!

merry christmas, love!
xo

4:16 AM, December 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS KIM!! =) I think this is the nicest thing that has happened so far this Christmas apart from Christmas Dinner last night. GAM DONG AHHH!! =) HOWEVER..

1. FATHERLY????????? >.<

2. thought spence is encouraging u to quit?

3. that's the trick see.. i know u gonna be rich and famous one day. So the meals you're gonna buy me are worth so much more and yummier! =P

HAPPY CHRISTMAS once again! =D May your days be merry and bright.. (so lame)

love,
Mikey

10:53 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Kenny said...

i had to go tru dictionaryDOTcom for "enunciating" ...

i noe, lame jokes are the pwn!

and thank god i met u kimmie. merry christmas

2:57 PM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

em..derk suggested that since lis likes horses,she should be a horsefly.

magd.. thanks ^_^

mike.. oh oops, ENCOURAGING. EMO mah..mucked up the words. no probs abt the meals WHEN i'm all rich. i'd buy you snails every day. and also, you ARE lame.
(btw, don't watch Narnia. dissapointing)

kny.. hehe. i went thru dictionary.com too to confirm the meaning of the word =)

4:14 PM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger spence said...

Oi. Sidekick only la?

But its Christmas so I'm gonna cut you some slack. =P

Anyways, MERRY CHRISTMAS KIM!! Have a merry jingly one!!

love,
Spence.

6:37 PM, December 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not LAMB meh? huahuahua

*evil grin*

5:29 AM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger spence said...

mike, yu ar so lamb.

*leg spasms*

11:12 AM, December 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yalar, i agree with spence - sidekick only meh??? LOL.

and well.. i like the colours, but NOT the bugs so you two can keep all the bugs to yourself.

there's a shade of blue i like, but i dont know what it's called. or is it a shade of green? ... hmmm... i like maroon too. and burgundy. and there's this shade of grey. can i keep them all??? ekeke..

Lis
ps: derk - HORSEFLY?!?!?!?! 0_o

5:26 PM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger FishBalls said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 PM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger FishBalls said...

spence: hehehehe. jingly one. hehehehe. heh.

lisa: yes. horsefly. because you like horsies. It is a genius idea, i tell you.

7:03 PM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger Merv Kwok said...

im a lil late on this but, merry christmas keeeemm. may ur ballerina barbie find u one day lol

9:48 AM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

spence.. THANK YOU FOR THE CHOCOLATE..you have upgraded from sidekick to super sidekick!

spence & mike.. both of you are cows =P

lis.. well, a horsefly COULD be cute. pink bow and frills etc =)

moobs. hehe. hehehe.

merv.. now if only i had the magical crayons i was promised =)

10:40 AM, December 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keem: i think i'll have a pegasus. so there. =P

or actually, a hippogriff would be fine too. i suppose.

1:03 PM, December 28, 2005  
Blogger Kahani said...

But Lisa! Those aren't bugs! How about the ladybird?

2:55 PM, December 28, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

too red.

ooo! you could be a firefly. just that ppl don't make decorative items for those =D

9:52 AM, December 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home