Sense and Sensitivity
For the past couple of days, I've been remarkably proud of myself.
I held myself back from being the quick-tempered and easily annoyed person that I have been since starting my job here (KL does get to you after a while).
An example would be two days ago when made to run around the office the entire day for a story, only to have it chucked aside and not used.
Usually, I'd be pretty pissed.
That day, I came to realise that it really isn't worth it; being angry, frustrated and complaining about someone you don't even like. After all, at the end of it all, they're nobody.
And then today came and I am once again thrown into one of my silent fits (don't talk to me or I will find reason to be angry with you too).
All because of an emcee at a product launch.
Here's what happened.
Emcee: Angel Wong Chui Ling, host for the event who is bilingual (English and Cantonese)
Guests: Radio DJs Serena C (English and Cantonese), Pietro (understands limited Cantonese and speaks English) and Lam Tak Weng (who speaks fluent Cantonese).
The VIPs: Foreigners
Chui Ling, bubbly thing that she is, had to interview each of the guests who were on stage simultaneously, going back and forth between them asking questions about their pets.
With Lam, she spoke Cantonese, which I assumed was to cater for the Canto-speaking crowd.
Serena did okay as she understood what the thing was saying, but Pietro was left out in the cold, trying to read hand gestures and listened for random English words for a clue of what was being said.
There were three rounds of interviews. It went like this. Lam first, Serena then Pietro.
The first time round, Serena took the liberty of explaining what was said to Pietro.
The second time round she attempted to do the same, but was cut off by the thing.
Serena, "Don't lah leave the non-chinese speaking fellow out." And proceeded to explain the conversation between Lam and the thing to Pietro again.
Now you would assume that the thing would have the courtesy, after having been 'cued', to translate the conversation between her and Lam while it goes on, for the benefit of all who were there who didn't speak Cantonese (and mind you, there were quite a few).
After all, what's the point of having a bilingual emcee if she can't help everyone understand and feel included.
But no, she rambled on in her mother tongue.
At this point I looked to the heavens and asked,
Note: Now some might think I am being harsh, having based my judgment on one encounter. But I really don't want to experience it a second time. I might get a rash.
I held myself back from being the quick-tempered and easily annoyed person that I have been since starting my job here (KL does get to you after a while).
An example would be two days ago when made to run around the office the entire day for a story, only to have it chucked aside and not used.
Usually, I'd be pretty pissed.
That day, I came to realise that it really isn't worth it; being angry, frustrated and complaining about someone you don't even like. After all, at the end of it all, they're nobody.
And then today came and I am once again thrown into one of my silent fits (don't talk to me or I will find reason to be angry with you too).
All because of an emcee at a product launch.
Here's what happened.
Emcee: Angel Wong Chui Ling, host for the event who is bilingual (English and Cantonese)
This is she.
Guests: Radio DJs Serena C (English and Cantonese), Pietro (understands limited Cantonese and speaks English) and Lam Tak Weng (who speaks fluent Cantonese).
The VIPs: Foreigners
Chui Ling, bubbly thing that she is, had to interview each of the guests who were on stage simultaneously, going back and forth between them asking questions about their pets.
With Lam, she spoke Cantonese, which I assumed was to cater for the Canto-speaking crowd.
Serena did okay as she understood what the thing was saying, but Pietro was left out in the cold, trying to read hand gestures and listened for random English words for a clue of what was being said.
There were three rounds of interviews. It went like this. Lam first, Serena then Pietro.
The first time round, Serena took the liberty of explaining what was said to Pietro.
The second time round she attempted to do the same, but was cut off by the thing.
Serena, "Don't lah leave the non-chinese speaking fellow out." And proceeded to explain the conversation between Lam and the thing to Pietro again.
Now you would assume that the thing would have the courtesy, after having been 'cued', to translate the conversation between her and Lam while it goes on, for the benefit of all who were there who didn't speak Cantonese (and mind you, there were quite a few).
After all, what's the point of having a bilingual emcee if she can't help everyone understand and feel included.
But no, she rambled on in her mother tongue.
At this point I looked to the heavens and asked,
"Lord,...?!"
Note: Now some might think I am being harsh, having based my judgment on one encounter. But I really don't want to experience it a second time. I might get a rash.
:
hahaha sorry, so lame...so after they said that 'cue'..she just kept jibbering on in canto? Maybe she isn't as bilingual as one suspect...hm...food for though. ;)
kimakss!!
she is bilingual!!! she spoke english to everyone else but that guy!!
haha i can sense the outrage in ur sentence! She suck. :)
thank you =D
Post a Comment
<< Home