<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, March 29, 2010

Free time is dangerous

Weather: It threatened to rain but it didn't, which left me with a very breezy evening to eat my chinese cooking wine + maggi mee.

Disposition: I think I should be panicking because I've got shitloads of work I've not finished yet and deadline is in two days. Ah well, I guess I could always panic tomorrow.

Watching: True Blood, Season 2 Ep 07 and 08. I'm not ashamed to say that I quite enjoy the show, and actually look forward to having quiet time after work to watch it while I have my glass of iced tea. I still wish that Sookie a.k.a. Anna Paquin wasn't so annoying though. Love that Eric was a viking.

I've always wished that I had more art in me so that I knew how to make things. I can sew but not well enough to make clothing, I can paint, sorta, and I used to be able to do pencil portraits although the proportions would sometimes be slightly off. I tried knitting in Sydney but only produced one scarf, which I tried to donate but Moobs* won't let me (he says he wants to keep it because it's the very first, and probably last, thing I knit but I suspect it's because it's ugly).

I browse Etsy and Boing Boing's Makers Market and imagine all the things I'd make -- if I had craft fingers, that is.


For instance, I'd love to replicate this steampunk necklace:


USD$95!!!!!

But recent experience with my publication's DIY pages (I have to make things with recyclables that look chic, feminine and cute for readers to replicate) where I sliced my thumb open while trying to cut a lime has made it quite clear that I should stay away from sharp objects (not to mention that my designer and photographer still cracks jokes about 'we're not as clumsy as you' two months after the incident).

And the other time when I spent an entire Sunday (and I do mean, entire Sunday) stenciling a foldable umbrella with spray paint. No, that did not work out very well. Nor did my reusable lunch bag made from table mats project. Or my postcard luggage tag. Or the wrist rest. Or the frosted drinking glasses.
People like me are the backbone of our economy, we have no choice but to buy.

:

Anonymous lc said...

I do things in ONES too...one wonky scarf, one cross-stich piece, one painting, one ...hmm....think when I was young, I tried to make ONE vest...failed miserably, never went on sewing machine ever again. haha

U should have seen the tech group of guys I hang out with, we tried to play something similar to Cranium (New Zealand boardgame)...we couldn' hum so we ditched that category, we couldn't draw, or describe so we chucked those category...in the end, all we did was mime and mould clay. I kept picking MIME cards...and I totally suck. haha

8:19 PM, March 31, 2010  
Blogger Keem said...

Cranium's the game we played with Roy and PatChong in Christchurch! Oooh what's the game called? I wanted to buy Cranium to bring back but it's soo expensive!

As for the projects.. so much for the saying 'if you don't succeed at first, try, try again' huh? :) you and me, we're the same.

by the way, i just received a book on sewing things. itching to do it but i just KNOW i'll do a horrid job at it hahah. will take picture of the book and show you :)

9:47 AM, April 03, 2010  
Anonymous lc said...

Yep Cranium's the game we played in Christchurch. The game we played had more 'physical' activities, I think Cranium was better...the game I played was PARTINI (party in a box).

For me, to finish is to succeed. haha Low expectations...plus I'm not the "creative" one in the family. Having said that the "creative" one in my family doesn't DO ANYTHING!!! She tried to knit, didn't. Had to force her before she painted something. Never cross-stiched or made anything. haha

What type of sewing things does your book teach you? Like clothes?

11:02 PM, April 04, 2010  
Blogger Keem said...

Uh... among other things. Look it up, the title is One Piece of Fabric.

There's a bikini somewhere in there, and two bags. 15 projects in one book :)

1:08 AM, April 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home