Front Page Tragedies
both make me look and make me look away in disgust.
Accidents, rapes, and mutilation.
I am intrigued by the details of how it happened, why and who the victim was.
Death sells.
When an occurence of the mentioned sort happens, I imagine dog-eared journalists do as they would when they hear their calling - with ears perked up and their senses alert.
They can't help it really. Neither can self-proclaimed ethical readers like myself who sometimes scrunge up their face in disgust at the thought of the violation of those victims who have just been hurt, and yet read on while we click our tongues disapprovingly.
Justification says that newspapers are helping them gain sympathy, and to give attention to the issue at hand. To create public awareness.
I remember when I first found out that a friend's father who was a government official, was tragically killed in an accident.
They put pictures of the crash site. Justified. Of her father's face. Justified. Of her family grieving and crying over his casket. There is no justification there. There is only so much that is the public's business, so much that they need to be aware of.
I know a picture tells a thousand words, and none can tell it so well when the photos are blown up, printed in full colour.
And despite my disgust, I still look; transfixed.
Is the media to blame for the grotesque news reports that people see, or is it the public's morbid fault of loving these news pieces that force reporters to write this way?
Accidents, rapes, and mutilation.
I am intrigued by the details of how it happened, why and who the victim was.
Death sells.
When an occurence of the mentioned sort happens, I imagine dog-eared journalists do as they would when they hear their calling - with ears perked up and their senses alert.
They can't help it really. Neither can self-proclaimed ethical readers like myself who sometimes scrunge up their face in disgust at the thought of the violation of those victims who have just been hurt, and yet read on while we click our tongues disapprovingly.
Justification says that newspapers are helping them gain sympathy, and to give attention to the issue at hand. To create public awareness.
I remember when I first found out that a friend's father who was a government official, was tragically killed in an accident.
They put pictures of the crash site. Justified. Of her father's face. Justified. Of her family grieving and crying over his casket. There is no justification there. There is only so much that is the public's business, so much that they need to be aware of.
I know a picture tells a thousand words, and none can tell it so well when the photos are blown up, printed in full colour.
And despite my disgust, I still look; transfixed.
Is the media to blame for the grotesque news reports that people see, or is it the public's morbid fault of loving these news pieces that force reporters to write this way?
:
in a minorly related thought, imagine a blown up pic of anwar ibrahim's arse in full color with the headlines, "anwar did not get sodomized"
i wonder who'd buy that newspaper.
there is such a fine line.
i was watching the indonesian news here in melb and they make no qualms about showing off dead bodies etc etc. that would NEVER happen here. apathy and public awareness/gratutious violence/news as entertainment - there's such a fine line. especially when it comes to the public's right to know: did they really NEED to see the face of that minister as he died?
journos here aren't even allowed to report the story until the family member has been contacted by police to inform them that they've died in many cases. it's so disrepectful to show someone in lying state like that ...
exactly. why the mutilated bodies in the tv and corpses scattering an earthquake/flood/tsunami site? is that even necessary? jeez. to gain empathy they say. we don't need to know that.
it's like how ppl in this country like to stop and stare at a car wreck on a road. (and then take down the car number)
merv..hehe. i wouldn't buy. i borrow. save money ma.
alli..i guess being a writer of sorts helps in understanding this whole mumbo-jumbo on a personal level. as a lay(wo)man, i never cared. not til i was a journo and told to compromise my personal ethics to sell sell sell.
if it sells, it's there. and that sucks. thank goodness for blogging.
rom.. i nearly fell of the chair laughing when i read tht bracketed thing. it's also like how i'm terrified of ghostly things but i still tell stories.
plus i find it amusing tht if i post something silly i get lots of comments, but if i post something serious i don't get as many.
i guess we're all for sensationalism.
So sorry, been MIA. I never really thought of the media, maybe because *blocks Alli's and Kim's ears and eyes*...I dont really bother with it. Like I hardly to nearly never watch the news, I read the newspaper if it's accessible, no radio....if I didn't have friends telling me things, I'd be totally clueless, well more so than usual. hehe
I do get embarassed at my lack of awareness but I have been slowly getting better the last few years. Unlike others, I always look away and horrible images...I find I can't handle it, even the sight of the tsunami bodies had me looking away from the telly. Car crashes, I'm always scared I'll see something..err.bloody.
My one biggest blunder was that I thought Kosovo was a bomb, it rhymed with NATO and my uneducated guess was wrong. *hides in corner*.
omg lc.
ahahah. i am not horrified at all. just thinking that's incredibly endearing. somehow. LOL. it's okay babe, we love u just the same. Kosovo or not. =)
p/s i'm not very updated with current events etc myself, no worries =)i have these sudden bouts of interest where i devour newspapers etc.. and then i can go on for months without knowing that a war is happening somewhere.
yea well its not just the papers i guess... its media in general... the tele isnt that much more "ethically" tuned... not to say that its not good to "educate" ppl about whats going on around them but whats the use of it if no ones gonna get off their fat bums or divert from their linear routined lives to do some thing about it?? we care enough to take notice but not enough to do something about it
Post a Comment
<< Home