<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Prunes are good for constipation

I feel like a prune. All wrinkled, dry and devoid of inspiration.

My job.

I am a Marketing Assistant, but I do a lot of things - writing letters to schools and corporates, organising events, writing business proposals, calling up students, writing press releases and etc.

Sometimes, I change the toilet paper roll too.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what a marketing job is supposed to cover?

Sometimes I feel so saturated with daily work tasks, that depression doesn't leave even when I'm fed chocolate and ice-cream.

I honestly feel quite sorry for myself, not for all the things that I have to do; but the dry, uninspiring environment I have to work in.

Closing my eyes and playing pretend isn't even an option - being surrounded by blue tiled floors, egg-washed walls and neon tubes that buzz ever so dully over my head.

I have Ally McBeal moments where I see myself sexily clad in tight leather pants and a cowboy hat, but grovelling across the desert as tumbleweeds roll over me and hidden quicksand pits appear and swallow me whole.

I am Magnificent! but I can't express it (I apologise for my lack of humility here).

I don't hate it, but neither do I wake up bright and early, with my eyes shining and my lips smiling, just BOUNCING with joy at the prospect of work.

Does anyone feel that way about their job at all? (the bouncing) I'm starting to think that it's a lie capitalists told to get us to work for them.

CB.

t(-_-)t

:

Blogger Kahani said...

regardless of what marketing IS... your job is to do whatever you boss wants you to do. If what he asks makes you unhappy - find another job. *sighs* Zat's life.

Work is drudgery dear... I love my job because it's madly different day to day and I'm good at it. But I'd STILL rather have a day off to go shopping.... even though sometimes, when my job involves a shopping spree, it can be better than a day off. Hmm... so far that hasn't REALLY happened... but it might! =P

Come back to journalism sweetie. =P

12:01 AM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. i'm laughing at the Ally Mcbeal thingy. *cough* ok sorry, i'm supposed to emphatise. ORITE. i have no clue about marketing, since i'm nowhere near that line, nor do i have any close friends in the line.

what i do know, is that monotony and a lack of interest is no way to go. the pessimist in me will say that life is lack of choices, and we'll have to make do with what we have. but the optimist will tell me that this is probably a stepping stone for you, preparing you for greater things to come.

*sings* someday someday

12:57 AM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

magd.. didnt know that the marketing scope was so wide, so undefined. generalities are good in a way because u're adaptable to most situations - but atm it's being a pain in the ass cause it seems like i'm doing too many things. as for the pay - i've no idea what other companies are paying.

Em.. doing whatever my boss wants - how true. i don't hate the things he make me do, i'm just disinterested - the media planning part of ms.penny's campaign. I AM FLUFFY. Heh.

Journalism.. ONE DAY!! or advertising =)

Rom.. yah. stepping stone so tht next time i work in a media company, i'll know what i can make the marketing team do. =D

8:52 AM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like that lah! Unless your country has a very powerful union that defines the scope for every job and fight for you when u have to do more than that.

But then again, in real life, alot of time is 'who-needs-who more'...u don't like it, the door is always open!
*sigh*

10:38 AM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never felt bouncing. ever.

dear if you feel like you are doing things beneath you - and i mean things that are disastrously out of your job description, you need to address it. i mean, you could take this as a humbling thing but just make sure you're not taken advantage of.

i think compared to something like journalism, marketing would be dry. but what else to do? plod on and refuse to let it get you down. kick arse as a marketing assistant because one day your efforts are bound to be paid back. xox

12:11 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Kenny said...

ur job range seems 2 cover an area im expertising in..."newguy/newgurl"

nuff sied. =) so dun fed. hehe hughug. it will pass, trust me tell u abt it 2night.

7:09 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

button..tht who-needs-who-more thing: i think tht's why people have work strikes, because essentially THEY need us more. although we ARE replaceable, but not immediately.

alli.. and THAT will be my mantra. but i abbv it to Kick Ass And Ye Will Be Rewarded.

kny.. thanks for the de-stressing session =) cheesecake is so good for the soul. but bad for the tummy cause i'm having tummy discomforts this morning.

catlady...too lazy to BOUNCE?

magd.. i did.

8:58 AM, September 09, 2005  
Blogger Merv Kwok said...

im not kidding when i say this but, i thought for half my life that marketting was going down to 3rd mile market n buying food to cook with. so supermarket was supermarketting.

slap me. im an idiot.

anyways... hope u find something dynamic soon. sounds like a drag ur job

9:42 AM, September 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn those capitalist scums!

1:23 AM, September 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keem, it depends on how the company is structured. Unfortunately, most junior staffs r replaceable...
do they have strikes in kuching?

10:57 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

merv.. raincheck on the slapping cause u're in sg and it'd cost me too much to go there.
anyhoo. i think it's pretty hard to find a person who's happy with their job EVERY DAY anyway.

magd.. no probs =)

:) i second tht!

button.. replaceable in due time yes, but overnight? me no think so. but we're too nice, too scared to do such things unless we've really no choice.
no strikes here as far as ive heard.

1:34 PM, September 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's not a matter of being 'too nice'. It's just that most see themselves in mid-management somewhere in the near future. Certainly noone wants to be held ransom by junior staffs when they r there...
setting the precedence now will only make life more miserable later...

9:02 PM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Keem said...

ah! now i know i've been juvenile in thinking all this while.

never quite thought of that. *sigh* we youth/ i do act on our/my emotions. i've never quite thought how such rebellion could deter the future.

but then again, one musn't always be too cautious. too prepared.

12:06 PM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

The bouncing? Good heavens, no!

I celebrate the coming of weekends!

11:02 AM, September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home