<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/11417852?origin\x3dhttp://dugongism.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Suku chabo

I am your typical cina woman, who will probably one day be your typical cina aunty.

Why? Because I am kiam siap.

I've never had a manicure or a pedicure.
I've never bought myself any beauty product over RM50.
I've never bought perfume - and quite frankly, can't stand most of them.
The only pair of Levis I've ever owned were hand-me-downs, so lets not talk about CK or DKNY.
I've not owned a dress since... oh, I don't know, when I was 10?
I fear Tiffany & Co, Chanel, Coach, Ferragamo and other such shops and their heavily mascara-ed retail people.
I save and save and have enough money in my bank account at present moment to pay my way to London and back - but I don't.
I don't even have a bloody passport.

Instead, I do the sensible, cina woman thing.

I give loans. I pay for 'necessities'. I save the rest to gather measly bank interest.

But still I stay up worrying about my monetary future.

Moobs says I'm better off than many.

But I can't help thinking that I could do better still (save more - for what purpose, I don't know).

Another cina woman trait.

Always dissatisfied.

----------

Glossary for the uninitiated:
Suku chabo (hokkien), means silly woman
Kiam siap (hokkien), means stingy
Cina (malay), means chinese

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

u sure have strong foochow traits ^_^

anyway, what u're doing is fine, its very responsible

10:29 PM, January 25, 2007  
Blogger Keem said...

responsible. poo poo.

i wanna be one of those spendthrifts! - just attempted, came back only with a towel. -_-

3:36 PM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Merv Kwok said...

spend spend! that's the way to go hehe

10:17 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Keem said...

wait til i get my passport, YOU will be assisting me on the task.

oh i tried spending again btw.. took 200 bucks, spent near 100 buying stationery for the johor flood victims and the rest - transport and food.

-_- i hate me.

11:35 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Kahani said...

Congrats on the front page byline! What was it for?

And *hugs* over everything crappy. You're doing great girl, and yes theSun makes you pull long hours, but put in a year and you can probably call the shots anywhere in town. I think by then the U! will have died a natural death anyways. *sighs* So much for a legacy that would last. =P

9:20 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger t3 said...

at least u're far betta than girls that spend spend spend and hope to have a bf that pays pays pays or marry rich husband...

9:42 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.My.God. I just realized how much you sound like me.. Or rather, the other way round :)

10:02 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much girl, it's never as bad as what our mind conjures up. :)

Get passport quick quick...else how you go singapore eh?

5:31 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Keem said...

kahani... flood -_- and tomorrow, I go to batu pahat to interview flood people. and it was supposed to be my day off too! *pouts*

t3... well, i DO have a bf who picks up on the hints some times and buys me stuff :)

pelf.. the other way around? heh. do i know you? went to your blog and saw you had some mention of kuching

lc.. i will i will! it's easier to get my passport done back home - and i've promised myself that i will do it first chance i get.

i've got colleagues who've got their entire year planned - flying here for this holiday and there for that media trip.

only travelling i've planned is going home - cause it's cheap :P (and plus i really like going home)

10:12 PM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home