Something called Ethics
Yes, this is going to be a preachy blog post.
I believe, naive as I am, that everyone should adhere to a certain level of decency ministered by no one and nothing but their own conscience.
It is not about self-censorship nor society's perception on morality and what is accepted.
It goes beyond that; that you and I are people, and ideally, if possible, we shouldn't harm each other (what 'harm' consists of is debatable).
We respect each other, and each other's rights.
Like how I respect your right to opinion, and to express that opinion.
As we journalists say - "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it."
I will never say "How could you write that?" or "Take that blog post down!".
I will, however ask, "Do you really mean it?" and "What purpose does it serve?"
And I can but only hope that you didn't (mean it).
But if you do, at least have the balls to admit that you intended to do it. That is was a considered action, not a 'by the way' incident.
At least hypocrisy wouldn't be on the list.
I believe, naive as I am, that everyone should adhere to a certain level of decency ministered by no one and nothing but their own conscience.
It is not about self-censorship nor society's perception on morality and what is accepted.
It goes beyond that; that you and I are people, and ideally, if possible, we shouldn't harm each other (what 'harm' consists of is debatable).
We respect each other, and each other's rights.
Like how I respect your right to opinion, and to express that opinion.
As we journalists say - "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it."
I will never say "How could you write that?" or "Take that blog post down!".
I will, however ask, "Do you really mean it?" and "What purpose does it serve?"
And I can but only hope that you didn't (mean it).
But if you do, at least have the balls to admit that you intended to do it. That is was a considered action, not a 'by the way' incident.
At least hypocrisy wouldn't be on the list.
:
Post a Comment
<< Home