When the going gets not going got going again.
Ok. So you know how I've been ranting about work, and people at work, and stupid things I deal with at work
Well, I'm sick and tired of my complaints, so I shan't anymore.
Talking never got anyone anywhere. Except this place called Away From Home that required the Parent Visa.
Well, I could just go, but it wouldn't have been right.
So dad woke me up early yesterday morning, and we talked for 3 continuous hours. T H R E E.
His assumption was that I was a typical fresh graduate; rash, ambitious, arrogant - that I don't know what I want, and that I have no idea what the real world is like.
I've never thought myself to be more than what I am. Often, in fact, I think less of myself than that. Neither do I act without thought. I act by thinking so much that by the time that I do something, my idea has gone stale and someone else has already beaten me to it.
However, I think the winning argument for the session was this:
"In all the years that I have been your daughter, have I made decisions that have dissapointed you? Have I ever done anything that proved myself to be reckless?"
"No."
"Then why do you accuse me of not thinking things through?"
"..."
I wish I didn't have to sound so obvious, so right, so grown-up.
I'd want my little girl to stay my little girl too, even if it was only pretend.
But things were okay in the end.
He said he was proud of me, and would support me - morally or financially.
He let me go.
Well, I'm sick and tired of my complaints, so I shan't anymore.
Talking never got anyone anywhere. Except this place called Away From Home that required the Parent Visa.
Well, I could just go, but it wouldn't have been right.
So dad woke me up early yesterday morning, and we talked for 3 continuous hours. T H R E E.
His assumption was that I was a typical fresh graduate; rash, ambitious, arrogant - that I don't know what I want, and that I have no idea what the real world is like.
I've never thought myself to be more than what I am. Often, in fact, I think less of myself than that. Neither do I act without thought. I act by thinking so much that by the time that I do something, my idea has gone stale and someone else has already beaten me to it.
However, I think the winning argument for the session was this:
"In all the years that I have been your daughter, have I made decisions that have dissapointed you? Have I ever done anything that proved myself to be reckless?"
"No."
"Then why do you accuse me of not thinking things through?"
"..."
I wish I didn't have to sound so obvious, so right, so grown-up.
I'd want my little girl to stay my little girl too, even if it was only pretend.
But things were okay in the end.
He said he was proud of me, and would support me - morally or financially.
He let me go.
The details pertaining to the decision made from the above conversation will be posted here as soon as I get confirmation on what I intend to do.
My heart is steadfast.
:
from where i come from, people would say.. "you just OWNED your dad" =P
Ppl at BDC say that?
=_=
pwn3d. =)
if i said wat u said to my dad, i'd so get it. lol.
it's a rite of passage, convincing your parents to let you go.
i mean, we could just go if we wanted but because we've been brought up right, the fact that we need their approval and blessing says a lot about us, doesn't it.
still. i can't believe your dad said he'd support you financially! that's great. i've been paying my own bills since i was 17!
That's such an adult like conversation....too bad, with me it was always do and accept. *sigh* You could call it the youngest child syndrome, they will never give me blessings or approval, the 'rents will always just learn how to accept what I decide to do myself cause to them I will always be the youngest child, and no matter what I do, what degree I get, the year I spent overseas...they will always worry to death. You m'dear have younger siblings, so you're like the head honcho, the pioneer! And too right he proud of ya!! You ROCK! =)
YEAH!! that is SO great! i remember you telling me eons ago, like some time last year that it was not really possible for you to work overseas (remember me asking you to come work in London?! feels like a lifetime ago right?). it really helps to talk things through at that level. i'm SO happy for you, truly.
merv.. wellllllll i don't usually say stuff like tht cause i'd get it bad too - but i was too annoyed at tht point to care about anything he had to say. i was right and i knew it.
alli..paying ur own bills since 17?! ...tht goes to show how pampered we are i sppose. still living off my parents and i don't pay a single cent. he said he doesn't want my money =P i guess it comes with the situation tht the pay here's bad.. and no way a freshie can sustain - rm1200/ mth!
sometimes doesn't it just suck that we've been brought up right, and need to do things the PROPER way. can't let loose and run amok.
lc..AHHAHAHAHHA!! Head Honcho eh? it has always been do and accept too - and this was going to be just the same, cause we had a previous conversation and he strongly objected. i fumed over it a coupla days then i emailed him (better cause if i talk i get emo). tht convo is a result of tht email. *superwoman pose* my power of persuasion through writing!
rom.. oh no no no. london is still so.. far. one baby step at a time =) would love to still visit though but howlah to save up when i've barely anything to save! and you and i both know tht i'd die of homesickness the very second i got on the plane - heheh.
Post a Comment
<< Home